Current:Home > reviews8 Children Dead and One Adult Dead After Eating Sea Turtle Meat in Zanzibar -Capitatum
8 Children Dead and One Adult Dead After Eating Sea Turtle Meat in Zanzibar
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 00:54:10
A tragedy has occurred in Zanzibar.
Eight children and an adult are dead after eating contaminated sea turtle meat, while another 78 people were hospitalized, authorities told the Associated Press on March 9. The incident occurred on Pemba Island in the Zanzibar archipelago.
The adult who died was also the mother of the one of the children who tragically passed away. Dr. Haji Bakari, the Mkoani District medical officer, told AP the contaminated sea turtle meat had been consumed on March 5 by all of those affected.
E! News has reached out to Zanzibar officials for additional details, but has not heard back yet.
Sea turtle meat is considered a delicacy in Zanzibar, although it can often have devastating consequences due to a type of food poisoning known as chelonitoxism.
"Chelonitoxism is a rare and sometimes fatal type of food poisoning caused by eating marine turtles," the National Library of Medicine says. "Symptoms can be as mild as nausea and vomiting to more severe forms of neurologic manifestations, coma and ultimately death."
There is no known antidote for chelonitoxism, and "children are especially susceptible to this type of poisoning," as noted by the National Capital Poison Center. They added that "pets have also died after eating contaminated sea turtle meat or the vomit of affected humans."
Zanzibar is, unfortunately, no stranger to deaths from contaminated sea turtle meat, as the AP reported that, in 2021, seven people—including a 3-year-old—had died from chelonitoxism.
Authorities in Zanzibar are urging people to avoid consuming sea turtles at this time.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (35)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- The Era of Climate Migration Is Here, Leaders of Vulnerable Nations Say
- Officer said girl, 11, being solicited by adult could be charged with child porn, video shows
- Who killed Tupac? Latest developments in case explored in new 'Impact x Nightline'
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Sophie Turner sues for return of daughters, ex Joe Jonas disputes claims amid divorce
- In a first, Massachusetts to ban purchase of single-use plastic bottles by state agencies
- Some Fortnite players (and parents) can claim refunds after $245M settlement: How to apply
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- In a first, Massachusetts to ban purchase of single-use plastic bottles by state agencies
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- 'My friends did everything right': Injured Grand Canyon hiker says he was not abandoned on trail
- There's a lot to love in the 'Hair Love'-inspired TV series 'Young Love'
- Supermodel Christy Turlington's Daughter Grace Makes Her Milan Fashion Week Debut
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- 2 Black TikTok workers claim discrimination: Both were fired after complaining to HR
- Bulgaria expels a Russian and 2 Belarusian clerics accused of spying for Moscow
- Rupert Murdoch, creator of Fox News, stepping down as head of News Corp. and Fox Corp.
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Free COVID test kits are coming back. Here's how to get them.
Biden at the UN General Assembly, Ukraine support, Iranian prisoners: 5 Things podcast
Mexico president says he’ll skip APEC summit in November in San Francisco
Travis Hunter, the 2
Google Maps sued by family of North Carolina man who drove off collapsed bridge following directions
Appeals court takes up transgender health coverage case likely headed to Supreme Court
George R.R. Martin, Jodi Picoult and more sue OpenAI: 'Systematic theft on a mass scale'